Christian Radio

This blog has been established to talk about Christian Radio (the industry) and to encourage those who are working in the industry. I would like to talk about news, music, programs and whatever else comes up. My goal is to get listeners and the professionals to talk about the issues to help make the ministry even better and stronger. Tell all you know about this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States

I'm the Executive Director of Mission Network News, a broadcast network servicing more than 900 radio stations in North America, New Zealand, Eucuador, Romania and Moldova

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Back from NRB, everything I expected

It was a busy three days in Dallas, Texas, the site of the 2006 National Religious Broadcasters convention. The week was pretty much what I expected. It was fully of encouragement and full of disappointment.

Let me highlight the encouragement parts. Sunday was by far the best day.

I attended the Moody Broadcasting breakfast. What a wonderful time of encouragement and worship. It featured the wonderful music of Nichol Sponburg, formerly of Salah. It was so worshipful. Every song pointed us to the Savior. Then, we heard a message from the former Vice President for Broadcasting Bob Neff. He's suffering from ALS. He was forced to resign because of his illness. While it was sad he missed his 35 NRB in a row, it was encouraging to see his commitment to Christian radio continue. And even more importantly was seeing his courage and faith in Christ continue.

Then, Sunday's worship service was awesome. We had an incredible choir. It was huge and man could they sing. Then, Charles Billingsley lead us in corporate worship. And then, Dr. RC Sproul spoke. His text was Genesis 28. The way he applied it was great. He says so many people say, "Church is boring. Boring? How can a place was God comes to meet with us be boring? It's impossible to meet with God and be bored." If church is boring, you're not meeting with God. Another thing he said was, "The Kingdom of God isn't Mr. Rogers neighborhood. There are conditions tied to God's saving love. You can't experience that love without confession of sin."

As broadcasters we have a responsibility to take people to a place where people CAN meet with God. While radio needs to be something that draws someone's attention, it can't forget about God's Word because that's how people can meet face to face with God and that's where people can come to Him.

The bad part of NRB? I saw the following:
  1. People following Man, not God. It was so frustrating to see men preaching another gospel. Paul talk very clearly about this.
Galatians 1:6-10 "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."
  1. It was hard listening to Christian radio people who were more interested in ratings, advertising dollars, and audience numbers than they were ministry.
  2. Because music radio stations have cut news from their formats, it was also sad to see fewer Christian radio news people in the business.
I could go on about the bad things, but that will do it for now.

I was able to talk to dozens of affiliate and non-affiliate radio stations. It appears we have added six new stations and have developed relationships with three mission agencies. All in all it was a good conference.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy L. Harp said...

Greg,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences at NRB and also MNN. My name is Stacy Harp, and I currently write for the VOM Persecution blog and use your stuff all of the time.

I would love to do an interview with you sometime soon for the blog and also my company Mind & Media which is my online publicity company.

Keep up the great work!

stacy@blogforbooks.com is my email :)

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home